Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Meeting Minutes of
Conference Call June 22, 2010
A conference call of the Board members of 80-20 Initiative was held on June 22, 2010
at 9PM EST. The following Board members joined the conf call:
Fel Amistad, Quan Cao, Ved Chaudhary, Chenming Hu, Edward Lin, Yuko Nakanishi, Linden Nishinaga, Kim Song, Lena Tam, Kathleen To, Joel Wong, S.B. Woo, Jing-Li Yu, and Suzanna Lin (Special Assistant). A copy of the Agenda is attached.
- S.B. Woo provided the update on the search for the Executive Director. Response to the announcement of ED position has been very good. A number of candidates have applied and among them, there are quite a few good candidates. Kathleen To and S.B. will pursue these candidates and select the best person for the position. S.B. re-confirmed with the board members his understanding of why we need an ED, as follows:
80-20 wants to hire an ED (in addition to keeping a Special Asst.) so that we can get a GREAT part-time volunteer president who is of such prestige that s/he may leave all the administrative details and routines to the staff (mass emails, membership, website, e-address lists maintenance) while s/he makes the important decisions, recruits good Board members and does successful fundraising (at least $100K more in income per year to just pay for the ED).
- In the absence of YT Lee of Ohio Chapter, S.B. Woo provided the update on a new Chapter formation in Ohio. The “SW Ohio Chapter” is being formed comprising Dayton & Cincinnati area in Southwest Ohio.
- Ved Chaudhary provided update on his contacts with the APAPA (APA Political Affairs) Indian American Forum for Political Education (Forum), AIA (Association of Indians in America), and Vietnamese organization. Ved has Drafted an MOU (Memo of Understand) to share with prospective APA organizations. He will share the Draft with the board members and requested board members to provide him with contact information for any APA organization leaders they know.
(After the conf call, Draft MOU was sent on 6/23 to all Board members for review and comments.)
- Chenming Hu provided the update on the Non-Partisan committee. Endorsement of a Republican candidate, Tom Campbell, has set a great example of bi-partisanship. This committee will report in September if any candidates from either party are endorsed for the November elections. Also S.B. will send a letter to the National Republican Committee about our efforts at bi-partisanship.
- Jing-Li Yu reported for the Legal Assistance/consulting committee that after August, he will work on identifying some possible attorneys who may be willing to do some pro-bono work. S.B. also reported on his efforts at this possibility.
- Ved Chaudhary referred to the two amendments in bylaws that Ohio chapter has requested. Ved will send the proposed amendments to the board members and get their votes through email. (Proposed amendments were emailed to board members on June 29)
Meeting adjourned at 10PM EST.
Notes prepared by:
June 29, 2010
Agenda for conf. call
(Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9 p.m. ECT)
1. Update on our ad for an Exec. Director (ED)
a. Qualifty and quantity of applicants thus far.
b. Confirmation of understanding of why we need an ED:
2. Reports from Ad Hoc Sub-committee Chairs
Let's report in the following order
i) Chapter Development
ii) Out reach to other AsAm communities
iv) Legal Assistance/Consulting … and others.
3. Bylaws amendment by Sec. Ved Chaudhary
This could possibly be handled more cost/effectively by email.
4. Other items